The Chronicles of Akin: The Trial (1)




If you've not read the The Chronicles of Akin: The Mayhem, find them:


‘Cooourt!’ the court crier announced the presence of the judge. Akin was sitting down at one corner. His heart was pounding. He couldn’t get any evidence and there was no at least one person to testify that he was telling the truth. “This is the end,” he said to himself... ‘so, I will spend a good time of my life in the prison; I will be very much happy if the court can temper justice with mercy.’ Everybody in the court rose up except Akin who was lost in deep thought. ‘Akin! Akin! Whispered Shola. He jumped up. After the presiding judge sat, the audience sat and the court proceeding started.

Shola’s fiancée, Nike who was standing in as Akin’s attorney could not find any solid evidence to prove that Akin was telling the truth. She believed him but there was nothing she could do. All her efforts to find out the truth from the boys proved abortive. They kept telling her the same story. She had no choice but to implore Akin to plead guilty so that the court will have mercy on him. Akin simply to agreed with her even though he knew deep down in his heart that pleading guilty will only mean the he admits robbing the students.
When it was his turn, Akin’s file case was opened and he was having three charges against him. The court crier read out all the charges:
(i)                Robbery
(ii)              Attempted murder
(iii)            Disruption of public peace.
‘How would you plead, Guilty or not guilty?’ ‘Not guilty, my Lord’ Akin replied. Nike was shocked; but there was nothing  she could do. The judge called on the defense counsel to defend the case. ‘My Lord, if you would permit me to have a little discussion with my client, I would be very much grateful my Lord.’ Nike said. The judge wrote some things down and said, ‘this court will go on 15 minutes recess and you are allowed to meet with the accused person under this time. I rise.’ He concluded.
‘What were you thinking?’ ‘Are you out of your mind?’ Nike asked Akin furiously. The later did not answer her. Nike went to meet Shola and told him the consequence of his friend’s action. ‘Your friend might be looking at 15 years imprisonment.’ She said. Shola was sad. As he sat down thinking; he heard someone asking Nike if she was Akinola Enimoo’s attorney. She said yes. ‘How may I help you, please?’ Nike enquiries. ‘Well, my name is Olaniyan Razak. I am the commercial motorcyclist that helped Akin when the little boy was wounded.’ Nike’s heart was filled with joy to hear that. ‘Thank you very much sir.’ Nike said. ‘Can you please explain to me in details what you witnessed that day?’ Nike asked. Mr. Razak explained to her how he saw Akin carrying the wounded boy to the main road to seek help and that Akin explained to him how the whole incidence happened. ‘So, why did you decided to show up at this time?’ Nike asked. ‘Well, we saw it in the news and my wife pressurized me to come and bear witness since we heard that there was no witness.’ He concluded. ****(to be continued...)

Post a Comment

0 Comments